Wednesday, January 1, 2014

"Dumplings for Days"



I love dumplings. When people asked me why I was going to live in China for a year saying, “because I want to eat a lot of dumplings” would’ve sounded weird, but it would have been pretty true. I have not been disappointed. 
China tastes good...

A little over a week ago was the winter solstice. The Chinese have a tradition of eating dumplings on this darkest day of the year in order to make sure their ears don’t fall off. Which made complete sense to me and I wan’t going to take any chances. I was lucky enough to be treated to absolutely delicious lamb dumplings by what has become my adopted Chinese family. They run a small local restaurant that I frequent regularly.
Beautiful People

 Whatever my complaints about plumbing or smog, I cannot but feel tremendously grateful for the warm and generous hearts of the Chinese people. If there is some link between smog and/or leaky pipes and people this nice or gracious I’d say the would could use more of both. My night of dumplings was the closest thing to a holiday dinner that I had for Christmas and New Years.

Definitely one of mine...

My friends at work have also noticed my appetite for dumplings and this past weekend I was invited to my friend’s home to make dumplings. There is clearly an art to making good dumplings and it is also clear that I don’t have it yet. I was able to learn the broad strokes and was close to making dumplings that looked almost like they were supposed to. After eating everything on the table, we played Mahjong for hours. I felt pretty Chinese and very happy.

Mahjong


No comments:

Post a Comment